Dr. John Leuthner, M.D., is a physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R) specialist, or physiatrist, who joined the HealthBridge Arlington Heights team in 2020. PM&R is a medical specialty that focuses on promoting healing, restoring function, and improving quality of life for patients recovering from an injury. Dr. Leuthner has extensive training in treating neurological conditions including stroke, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, cerebral palsy and spasticity. He was the medical director of an inpatient rehabilitation facility in Indiana for two years and is excited to bring his expertise in physical medicine and rehabilitation to the patients at HealthBridge!
As an in-house physiatrist, Dr. Leuthner brings numerous benefits to HealthBridge Arlington Heights, including:
- Exclusively dedicated to rehabilitation, with the goal of improving quality of life and restoring everyday function.
- Maintains regularly scheduled patient visits.
- Monitors any barriers to a safe discharge and ensure that the patient is ready to go home.
- Focuses on the functional side of rehabilitation and recovery by closely monitoring the patient as they progress through therapy.
- Improves therapy outcomes by safely managing pain and medication.
- Diagnoses orthopedic and neuromuscular conditions and recommend treatment strategies.
- Acts as a liaison between the orthopedic surgeons, therapists, nurses, and the patient.
- Meets with family regarding their loved one’s rehab process and what to expect after discharge, leading to increased patient and family satisfaction.