Dr. Susan Smiga, MD, is a board-certified Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist with targeted expertise in pediatric and primary care settings.
A seasoned clinician with broad diagnostic and research experience in both adult and child psychiatry, Dr. Smiga engages in clinical care using telepsychiatry and is focused on advancing the psychological well-being of HealthBridge patients throughout their process of functional physical recovery. She has an enduring interest in resilience, mindfulness, family engagement, and strength-based care.
Benefits of psychiatric consultation:
- Psychiatric care enhances overall physical and emotional wellbeing, advancing everyday function and quality of life
- Regularly scheduled patient visits and psychiatric assessments ensure a whole-person approach Medication management for anxiety, depression, and other behaviors that negatively impact recovery
- Coordinated treatment planning with primary care physicians, nurses, and therapists
- Achievable rehabilitation goals based on core interests, aptitudes, and strengths
- Ongoing safety assessments for transition to lower levels of care
- Post-discharge psychiatric and mental health planning
- Engaging with families on their loved one’s rehab process, post-discharge expectations, and family-centric care plans